Mageia 3 is out
Doug Laidlaw
2013-05-19 07:54:22 UTC
The announcement is omn the blog. DVDs are available for download.

My main installation was Cauldron. I changed mirrors to official, Release
3. 7 packages were downloaded and installed. One was the re-
labelling, others were Skype and Dropbox. That was it!

Doug.
practice
2013-05-19 14:45:44 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
The announcement is omn the blog. DVDs are available for download.
My main installation was Cauldron. I changed mirrors to official, Release
3. 7 packages were downloaded and installed. One was the re-
labelling, others were Skype and Dropbox. That was it!
Doug.
Letting it chug along at 75 KB/s in the background, 14 hours to
completion of DVD 32bit download.
Paul
2013-05-19 17:21:31 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
The announcement is omn the blog. DVDs are available for download.
My main installation was Cauldron. I changed mirrors to official, Release
3. 7 packages were downloaded and installed. One was the re-
labelling, others were Skype and Dropbox. That was it!
Doug.
Letting it chug along at 75 KB/s in the background, 14 hours to completion of DVD 32bit download.
Try another mirror...

Bye
Paolo
Linux User #374412
Ar
2013-05-19 17:33:16 UTC
The Torrent version is super fast for download.
Unclefred
2013-05-19 21:16:01 UTC
Post by Ar
Post by Paul
Post by practice
Letting it chug along at 75 KB/s in the background, 14 hours to
completion of DVD 32bit download.
Try another mirror...
The Torrent version is super fast for download.
I'll have to wait. I'm out of DVDs. I have 5 CDs left, but I
had some issues when I tried that earlier. It says 2 CDs, and gives 2
checksums, but when I went to the download mirror, there were three
files. Doesn't inspire confidence.
I'll wait till the rush is over and download later. Will
version 2 be supported for a while?
--
Regards,
Fred Williams
Bit Twister
2013-05-19 22:45:32 UTC
Post by Unclefred
I'll have to wait. I'm out of DVDs.
If system boots a USB thumb drive you can copy the cd/dvd .iso to it with

dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg count=1
dd bs=1M of=/dev/sdg if=fn_here.iso

Just make sure /dev/sdg is your usb drive. If not just change the /dev/xxx
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Advisories
Unclefred
2013-05-20 13:05:40 UTC
Post by Unclefred
Will version 2 be supported for a while?
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Advisories
Thanks to you and Dave both for the advice, but my computer is
a 32 bit maching and it won't boot from a stick, AFAIK. Unless
there's some way of running the boot directing it from a terminal.
The CMOS doesn't know about the stick, again, AFAIK.
--
Regards,
Fred Williams
Bit Twister
2013-05-20 12:23:00 UTC
Post by Unclefred
Unless
there's some way of running the boot directing it from a terminal.
If bios does not allow USB boot device, you are correct.

If you have a spare partition where the iso is stored, it is possible
to have a boot loader stanza which will let you do the install from
the downloaded iso right from the hard drive which goes much faster.

For 32 bit, you go to some mirror like
ftp://mageia.webconquest.com/distrib/3/i586/isolinux/alt0/
and copy those two files to your system where you have the iso.

Since I have the downloaded iso in /dev/sdb6 (/downloads), that is
where I also have vmlinuz and all.rdz files.

grub legacy stanza would be:

title Downloaded_iso
kernel (hd1,5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram3 ramdisk_size=32000 vga=791
initrd (hd1,5)/all.rdz

When Downloaded_iso is picked, arrow to Hard Disk install, pick disk with
iso then if it is in a sub-directory you just enter /sub_dir_here
and you pick the desired iso.
unruh
Are you sure? Most macines from the past 5 years can. Check the bios.
David W. Hodgins
2013-05-20 21:01:29 UTC
Post by unruh
Post by Unclefred
Post by Unclefred
Will version 2 be supported for a while?
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Advisories
Thanks to you and Dave both for the advice, but my computer is
a 32 bit maching and it won't boot from a stick, AFAIK. Unless
there's some way of running the boot directing it from a terminal.
The CMOS doesn't know about the stick, again, AFAIK.
Are you sure? Most macines from the past 5 years can. Check the bios.
On my 7 year old i586 system, in order to boot from a usb stick, I have
to enter the bios setup, and alter the hard drive boot order. Looking
through the bios settings when there is no bootable stick installed
doesn't show any options for booting from a usb stick, but when it is
plugged in, it shows up in the list of hard drives.

Regards, Dave Hodgins
Unclefred
2013-05-21 13:01:52 UTC
Post by David W. Hodgins
Post by unruh
Post by Unclefred
Post by Unclefred
Will version 2 be supported for a while?
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Advisories
Thanks to you and Dave both for the advice, but my computer is
a 32 bit maching and it won't boot from a stick, AFAIK. Unless
there's some way of running the boot directing it from a terminal.
The CMOS doesn't know about the stick, again, AFAIK.
Are you sure? Most macines from the past 5 years can. Check the bios.
On my 7 year old i586 system, in order to boot from a usb stick, I
have to enter the bios setup, and alter the hard drive boot order.
Looking through the bios settings when there is no bootable stick
installed doesn't show any options for booting from a usb stick, but
when it is plugged in, it shows up in the list of hard drives.
Regards, Dave Hodgins
Thanks. I may try that, or I can just wait till the end of the
month and buy some new DVDs. It's not a great trial. My system is
about 7 years old also. Must say I've never looked at the bios with a
stick plugged in. Neat idea.
--
Regards,
Fred Williams
Ar
2013-05-21 20:59:44 UTC
Post by David W. Hodgins
On my 7 year old i586 system, in order to boot from a usb stick, I have
to enter the bios setup, and alter the hard drive boot order. Looking
through the bios settings when there is no bootable stick installed
doesn't show any options for booting from a usb stick, but when it is
plugged in, it shows up in the list of hard drives.
I just installed Mageia3 on an older machine, it too cannot boot just by
inserting a USB stick. But if you go to the BIOS setup, it shows up as a
hard drive, so all I do is change the boot order to the USB stick "hard
drive" and the install starts no problem after rebooting.

David W. Hodgins
2013-05-19 22:09:15 UTC
Post by Unclefred
I'll have to wait. I'm out of DVDs. I have 5 CDs left, but I
had some issues when I tried that earlier. It says 2 CDs, and gives 2
checksums, but when I went to the download mirror, there were three
files. Doesn't inspire confidence.
I've had too many problems with optical media, or rather the burners,
so I always use a usb stick now.

To copy the iso to a usb stick, insert the stick, and check /var/log/syslog
to see what device it's assigned to. Don't mount it.

dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/sd? bs=1M

Where /dev/sd? is replaced with the correct device for the usb stick.

I'm not sure what you mean by three files.

In /mageia/iso/3/Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD there should be ...
Name Last modified Size
Parent Directory -
Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD.idx 18-May-2013 17:22 192K
Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD.iso 18-May-2013 17:23 3.7G
Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD.iso.md5 18-May-2013 17:23 58
Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD.iso.md5.gpg 18-May-2013 20:55 654
Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD.iso.sha1 18-May-2013 17:23 66
Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD.iso.sha1.gpg 18-May-2013 20:55 664

The idx file contains a list of the packages on the iso.
The iso file is the actual hybrid iso image to boot from.
The .gpg files are digitally signed copies of the md5 and sha1
files.

If you want to verify the file, after importing the gpg public key
0xEDCA7A90 from one of the public key servers, run ...
$ gpg Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD.iso.md5.gpg
File `Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD.iso.md5' exists. Overwrite? (y/N) y
gpg: Signature made 2013-04-20T14:24:05 EDT using RSA key ID EDCA7A90
gpg: Good signature from "Mageia Release <***@mageia.org>"
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: B210 76A0 CBE4 D93D 66A9 D08D 835E 41F4 EDCA 7A90

Then run "md5sum -c *.md5", to verify the iso image has been downloaded ok.

Similar for the sha1 files, except the command "sha1sum -c *.sha1" is used.
Post by Unclefred
I'll wait till the rush is over and download later. Will
version 2 be supported for a while?
18 months from it's release date. November 22nd, 2013.

Regards, Dave Hodgins
TJ
2013-05-20 13:48:59 UTC
Post by Unclefred
Post by Ar
Post by Paul
Post by practice
Letting it chug along at 75 KB/s in the background, 14 hours to
completion of DVD 32bit download.
Try another mirror...
The Torrent version is super fast for download.
I'll have to wait. I'm out of DVDs. I have 5 CDs left, but I
had some issues when I tried that earlier. It says 2 CDs, and gives 2
checksums, but when I went to the download mirror, there were three
files. Doesn't inspire confidence.
I'll wait till the rush is over and download later. Will
version 2 be supported for a while?
I bought a few DVD-RWs on eBay a while back to use for distro
downloading. Since the only distro version I might go back to is the
last one, I can write over the one with two versions back without fear.
But, I also keep the isos on an external hard drive for backup, just in
case one of those DVD-RWs goes bad. It's cheap insurance.

TJ
Doug Laidlaw
2013-05-20 00:45:51 UTC
Post by Ar
Post by Paul
Post by practice
Letting it chug along at 75 KB/s in the background, 14 hours to
completion of DVD 32bit download.
Try another mirror...
The Torrent version is super fast for download.
The BitTorrent link from the Mageia wedbsite went nowhere, but the torrent
files are on terasaur.org.
TJ
2013-05-20 13:39:05 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Ar
Post by Paul
Post by practice
Letting it chug along at 75 KB/s in the background, 14 hours to
completion of DVD 32bit download.
Try another mirror...
The Torrent version is super fast for download.
The BitTorrent link from the Mageia wedbsite went nowhere, but the torrent
files are on terasaur.org.
The link for mine (32-bit DVD) worked fine.

TJ
practice
2013-05-19 20:23:19 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Doug Laidlaw
The announcement is omn the blog. DVDs are available for download.
My main installation was Cauldron. I changed mirrors to official, Release
3. 7 packages were downloaded and installed. One was the re-
labelling, others were Skype and Dropbox. That was it!
Doug.
Letting it chug along at 75 KB/s in the background, 14 hours to completion of DVD 32bit download.
Try another mirror...
Bye
Paolo
Never download from the factory itself?
Cool!
Pinnerite
2013-05-20 13:00:25 UTC
Presumably all the updates to the rc bring it up to date.
The only update today was to change the release files in /etc.
Sadly I cannot deploy it because it remains vmware hostile.

Mageia 2 for x86_64, Kernel: 3.4.45-desktop-1.mga2
KDE version 4.8.5 Running on an AMD 4-core processor
practice
2013-05-20 17:23:28 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
The announcement is omn the blog. DVDs are available for download.
My main installation was Cauldron. I changed mirrors to official, Release
3. 7 packages were downloaded and installed. One was the re-
labelling, others were Skype and Dropbox. That was it!
Doug.
Installed mine in VirtualBox running in PCLinuxOS.
Went with the default 512 RAM, no biggie, but a mistake. Give yourself
plenty of RAM. Fixed. Runs fine. Now to play with it.