Mageia 2 doesn't complete boot up
Pinnerite
2012-06-06 09:13:25 UTC
The install squence went very smoothly but when it came to rebooting, it
hangs after displaying the following two lines:

Failed to start wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
see 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait service' for details.

Anyone have a recommended follow-up for this?
PCLinuxOS release 2011 (PCLinuxOS) for x86_64
Kernel 2.6.38.8-pclos3
KDE version 4.6.5
Running on an AMD 4-core processor
Bit Twister
2012-06-06 11:25:03 UTC
Post by Pinnerite
The install squence went very smoothly but when it came to rebooting, it
Failed to start wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
see 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait service' for details.
Anyone have a recommended follow-up for this?
Based on the inordinate amount of provided information, :(
I am guessing you have radeon video hardware and booting runlevel 5
(gui).

My recommendation for Mageia is to always setup runlevel 3, upon
reboot, add tainted and non-free media, install the
kernel-firmware-nonfree rpm and any firmware which applies to you
hardware, then install the proprietary video rpms.

Someone with Mageia experience needs to jump in to provide the command
line switch to boot runlevel 3 and any other arguments which might
help booting progress.
Pinnerite
2012-06-06 12:45:17 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Pinnerite
The install squence went very smoothly but when it came to rebooting, it
Failed to start wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
see 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait service' for details.
Anyone have a recommended follow-up for this?
Based on the inordinate amount of provided information, :(
I am guessing you have radeon video hardware and booting runlevel 5
(gui).
My recommendation for Mageia is to always setup runlevel 3, upon
reboot, add tainted and non-free media, install the
kernel-firmware-nonfree rpm and any firmware which applies to you
hardware, then install the proprietary video rpms.
Someone with Mageia experience needs to jump in to provide the command
line switch to boot runlevel 3 and any other arguments which might
help booting progress.
Thank you. I'll hve a go.
Pinnerite
2012-06-06 20:22:28 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Pinnerite
The install squence went very smoothly but when it came to rebooting, it
Failed to start wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
see 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait service' for details.
Anyone have a recommended follow-up for this?
Based on the inordinate amount of provided information, :(
I am guessing you have radeon video hardware and booting runlevel 5
(gui).
My recommendation for Mageia is to always setup runlevel 3, upon
reboot, add tainted and non-free media, install the
kernel-firmware-nonfree rpm and any firmware which applies to you
hardware, then install the proprietary video rpms.
Someone with Mageia experience needs to jump in to provide the command
line switch to boot runlevel 3 and any other arguments which might
help booting progress.
Well, I wouldn't say it was easy but I got the system working. I needed a
second machine to find out which command lines to use etc. That was
comparatively easy to what came next, configuring VirtualBox and VMware.
Both are giving me problems. Maybe a new thread.

Regards, Alan
Bit Twister
2012-06-06 20:30:39 UTC
Post by Pinnerite
Well, I wouldn't say it was easy but I got the system working. I needed a
second machine to find out which command lines to use etc. That was
comparatively easy to what came next,
What a shame that you did not provide the solution to the problem for
other users to find. :(
Alan Secker
2012-06-07 20:57:46 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Pinnerite
Well, I wouldn't say it was easy but I got the system working. I needed a
second machine to find out which command lines to use etc. That was
comparatively easy to what came next,
What a shame that you did not provide the solution to the problem for
other users to find. :(
I fully intend to. I just wanted to resolve the remaining issues first. I'll
try and complete it tomorrow, if I can read my scribble! Oh! That will also
include both the VirtualBox and VMware issues too.

Regards, Alan
Pinnerite
2012-06-08 06:01:43 UTC
As promised.

Although I use a variety of distros and desktops, my mainstay for around ten
years has been KDE, mostly on Mandrake/Mandriva. My work also requires that
I use a fair number of Windows programs.

From time to time I tested Wine and Crossover Office but the improvements
are never aimed at serious professional financial applications which means I
have to use Windows.

At first I used Win4lin for supporting Windows 98 which frequently meant
patching ever new kernels. Later I found VMware and then VirtualBox. I toyed
with other hypervisors but they turned out to be more trouble than they are
worth.

I have a Fujitsu sheet-fed scanner (for the paper-less office), a Brother
laser multifunction machine and a Xerox colour solid ink printer. All these
things have to work under Linux and under the Windows XP guest sitting on
top.

Because two of my children live abroad I always wanted to use Skype but
could never get the sound to work.

Experience has told me that it pays to have both VMware and VirtualBox
installed with a virtual XP under each because all to often an 'upgrade'
will bring the house down. I have to meet deadlines and compliance
regulations. I cannot afford for my client data to become inaccessible for
any length of time.

For years, I had relative stability although I could never get Skype to work
on my workhorse desktop. I had no trouble with my wife's laptop (currently
running Vector Linux 7) or our netbook which has PClinuxOS.

When Mandriva looked as though it would cave and Mageia was uncertain, I
tried a test version of PCLinuxOS. When everything worked out of the box, I
adopted it and all was fine for a few months until an update killed it.
Reinstalling from the iso a couple of times was fine until another update
made it unbootable again. I couldn't complain, It was after all a test
platform.

Just at that point, Mageia 2 was released. I had tried an rc release but it
would hang. It was later that I realised that a DVD-ROM drive was out of
tolerance. I downloaded the iso, burned it, booted from it in the RW drive
and installed it on my second drive.

First Problem
=============
On trying to reboot it hung. Bit Twister quite rightly guessed that my
graphics were provide by ATI chips and recommended that I switch from
booting into runlevel 5 to runlevel 3.

This is done as follows:

1) At the grub menu press 'E'
2) Select the distro or option that you want to boot from and press 'E'
again.
3) You then have to select the boot line' The older ones start with
'kernel/boot/vmlinuz' but mine started with UID and a long numeric sequence.
Either way, type in a space followed by a '3' (without quotes).
4) Press 'B'

The system then boots into a login dialog.

I then used su to get to the # prompt and executed the following, although I
was unsure about the syntax of several lines:

# urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist
# urpmi --update --auto-select
# urpmi kernel-firmware-nonfree
# urpmi kernel-firmware
// I think this should have been urpmi --auto -a kernel-firmware

# drakrpm-edit-media
# urpmi.update --no-ignore Nonfree Updates
# urpmi.update -a
# XFdrake

At this point I was able to start 'X'

When Mageia came up I brought up Firefox and located the ATI proprietary
graphics package:

amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run

I made it executable and executed it.

I rebooted and Mageia came up beautifully.

Second Problem
==============
I need VMware Player (the free one) if I am to run Dragon Naturally Speaking
under Windows. It will not even install if run from a VirtualBox XP guest.

The problem was that the latest version is not compliant with series 3.xx
kernels. I discovered that there were kernel patches that resolved this
problem.

I am using version 4.0.3 for which the patch vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz is
appropriate. Download it from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VMware.
Open it up:

$ tar zxvf vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz

'su' to root and execute.

# ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh

Third Problem
=============
This related to VirtualBox. VBox came up OK but the XP guest aborted as soon
as it was launched. The answer was in the settings. For some reason under
Mageia 2, the previous settings were incompatible. It turned out to only be
one - EFI. That had to deselected.

Fourth Problem
==============
Both VMware and VirtualBox have a shared folders capability to enable guests
to 'see' the folders of hosts. Unfortunately Windows XP doesn't find folders
other than its own drives A, C & D!

The answer is to install samba and make shares available to the network and
therefore to the guest virtual machines. That does work.

Fifth Problem
============
I run Kaffeine for digital TV among other things. It needs the firmware
required for my Hauppauge WinTV PCI card. PCLinuxOS installs the files to
/lib/firmware by default. Mageia does not. I seem to recall that Mandriva
didn't used to either. I always keep copies of such files under my home
directory, so it was only a question of copying them over.

Non-Problem
===========
I was delighted to find Skype just worked! Brilliant.

Final Irritant
==============
This is odd. The copy of Microsoft Excel 2000 running under VMware's XP
guest hangs as soon as 'File' is clicked. It doesn't happen under
VirtualBox. I have uninstalled Office and reinstalled but it made no
difference. I installed Malaware and ran a full scan. The only offending
items found were those from MS itself but the problem continues to persist.
That should put a smirk on Dan_C's face.

I apologise for the verbosity but newer users may find the extra bits
helpful.

Alan
Bit Twister
2012-06-08 06:32:24 UTC
Post by Pinnerite
As promised.
Although I use a variety of distros and desktops, my mainstay for around ten
years has been KDE, mostly on Mandrake/Mandriva. My work also requires that
I use a fair number of Windows programs.
I have seen xterm escape sequences get lost with the KDE Desktop
Effects enabled. I also lose lots of frames per second. Once effects
are disabled I no longer have escape sequences problems and my FPS
gets back to 180+.
Post by Pinnerite
For years, I had relative stability although I could never get Skype to work
on my workhorse desktop.
I had no problems with Mandriva 2011 and Mageia. Mageia has an rpm to
do the skype install which is kinda nice.
Post by Pinnerite
First Problem
=============
On trying to reboot it hung. Bit Twister quite rightly guessed that my
graphics were provide by ATI chips and recommended that I switch from
booting into runlevel 5 to runlevel 3.
1) At the grub menu press 'E'
2) Select the distro or option that you want to boot from and press 'E'
again.
3) You then have to select the boot line' The older ones start with
'kernel/boot/vmlinuz' but mine started with UID and a long numeric sequence.
Either way, type in a space followed by a '3' (without quotes).
4) Press 'B'
Glad to know dracut/systemd works like Sysinit.
Post by Pinnerite
The system then boots into a login dialog.
I then used su to get to the # prompt and executed the following, although I
# urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist
# urpmi --update --auto-select
# urpmi kernel-firmware-nonfree
# urpmi kernel-firmware
// I think this should have been urpmi --auto -a kernel-firmware
# drakrpm-edit-media
# urpmi.update --no-ignore Nonfree Updates
# urpmi.update -a
# XFdrake
Packages I install are kernel-firmware-nonfree, ralink-firmware and radeon-firmware
Post by Pinnerite
At this point I was able to start 'X'
When Mageia came up I brought up Firefox and located the ATI proprietary
amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run
I made it executable and executed it.
Mageia can install the catlyst proprietary driver for you if you go
through xdrake to set the video card driver.

Thank you for you followup problem resolutions.
Pinnerite
2012-06-08 13:22:04 UTC
For those who would like to know, I found out how to cure the Excel problem.
It had huing after the cursr was aimed at 'File'. The answer was to reduce
the recently used file count to zero and quit. Resetting it back again after
re-executing.

Well it looks like Mageia is fine but not for Windows users looking for an
alternative. They'd give up as soon as it failed to boot. I think that ought
not to happen any more.
Bit Twister
2012-06-08 14:16:16 UTC
Post by Pinnerite
Well it looks like Mageia is fine but not for Windows users looking for an
alternative. They'd give up as soon as it failed to boot. I think that ought
not to happen any more.
Agreed. They are chatting about it in
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.mageia.devel

My stupid opinion would be if live cd has drivers, then the cd/dvd
should have it. Best quick solution would be to just set vesa driver
if Radeon hardware is detected.
Aragorn
2012-06-08 16:09:19 UTC
On Friday 08 June 2012 15:22, Pinnerite conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mageia...
Post by Pinnerite
Well it looks like Mageia is fine but not for Windows users looking
for an alternative.
No offense, Alan, but no GNU/Linux distribution is an alternative to
Windows. That's just an illusion pulled up in the IT-related media,
because they all live in a paradigm where Windows is the only real
operating system out there.

GNU/Linux is, and has always been, an alternative to proprietary UNIX.
The problem with GNU/Linux adoption (or lack thereof) by Windows users
is situated between the keyboard and the chair, not inside the machine
itself. ;-)
--
= Aragorn =
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
unruh
2012-06-08 19:02:22 UTC
Post by Pinnerite
For those who would like to know, I found out how to cure the Excel problem.
It had huing after the cursr was aimed at 'File'. The answer was to reduce
the recently used file count to zero and quit. Resetting it back again after
re-executing.
Well it looks like Mageia is fine but not for Windows users looking for an
alternative. They'd give up as soon as it failed to boot. I think that ought
not to happen any more.
Uh, it is a bug. Do you mean tha tthey would give up on Windows the
first time they say a blue screen of death?

Yes, Mageia needs to fix their system for installing on ATI and nvidia
chipsets.
unruh
2012-06-06 20:31:17 UTC
Post by Pinnerite
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Pinnerite
[...]
When you run into trouble it is always a good idea to give details on
the way you fixed it, so that the next person with that problem could
benefit from your experience (Youasked for help, and got it, so need to
pass on that help).

And yes, VirtualBox and VMware should be a separate thread.
Regards, Alan
Doug Laidlaw
2012-06-13 17:50:51 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Pinnerite
The install squence went very smoothly but when it came to rebooting, it
Failed to start wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
see 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait service' for details.
Anyone have a recommended follow-up for this?
Based on the inordinate amount of provided information, :(
I am guessing you have radeon video hardware and booting runlevel 5
(gui).
My recommendation for Mageia is to always setup runlevel 3, upon
reboot, add tainted and non-free media, install the
kernel-firmware-nonfree rpm and any firmware which applies to you
hardware, then install the proprietary video rpms.
Someone with Mageia experience needs to jump in to provide the command
line switch to boot runlevel 3 and any other arguments which might
help booting progress.
There was something in the early days about how to set the runlevel under
this different OS. Alternatively, take "splash quiet" out of menu.lst, or
is that something different?

[P.S.: From the freedesktop.org FAQ:

"Q: How do I change the current runlevel?

A: In systemd runlevels are exposed via "target units". You can change them like this:

# systemctl isolate runlevel5.target" ]

There have been some bugfixes recently for Radeon hardware, I think, but I
only glanced at the notification.

Doug.
--
They asked Segovia what he thought of an electric guitar. He replied "There is
no such instrument." Same thing with Mageia Linux. It needs a different name.
Bit Twister
2012-06-13 19:54:43 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
There was something in the early days about how to set the runlevel under
this different OS. Alternatively, take "splash quiet" out of menu.lst, or
is that something different?
Yes, the splash quiet, allows you to watch each service/daemon start
and watch the Ok/Failed status which is what I do.
Post by Doug Laidlaw
"Q: How do I change the current runlevel?
# systemctl isolate runlevel5.target" ]
Yes, but that would have been before shutting down. It was probably an
argument passing bug I saw during testing which made me doubt that
I/we could pass the desired runlevel during boot via just a number
like the SysInit days.
Post by Doug Laidlaw
There have been some bugfixes recently for Radeon hardware, I think, but I
only glanced at the notification.
In my stupid opinion, Mageia needs to just set vesa mode when ATI
hardware is detected during DVD/CD type installs and let the user
decide on how to set the drivers after enabling tainted/non-free
media.

I was impressed Monday. My neighbor wanted to run flightgear but it
would segfault. Teapot indicated 56 FPS. I told him to get a PCI video card.

He bought some $70 dollar Gforce card.

I plugged it in, booted with default runlevel 5 and wound up at a terminal
prompt. Was able to run mcc and disable hardware acceleration after

The teapot 212 FPS was a bit impressive.

unruh
2012-06-06 16:04:04 UTC
Post by Pinnerite
The install squence went very smoothly but when it came to rebooting, it
Failed to start wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
see 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait service' for details.
Anyone have a recommended follow-up for this?
I supose see 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait service' for details.
What does it say? or can't you run it.
and can you disable the Plymouth Boot Screen?

When it is booting did you hit esc to see the bootup sequence instead of
the useless boot screen?