plasma 4 no loger supported. Is plasma 5 still a disaster?
William Unruh
2016-08-05 11:41:26 UTC
I just reported a bug in kcmshell4 kscreen to KDE. I got back a maessage
saying that plasma4 was no longer supported so that bug will stay.
They said I should upgrade to plasm5. Is plasma5 anywhere near useability?
Bit Twister
2016-08-05 13:09:23 UTC
Post by William Unruh
I just reported a bug in kcmshell4 kscreen to KDE. I got back a maessage
saying that plasma4 was no longer supported so that bug will stay.
They said I should upgrade to plasm5. Is plasma5 anywhere near useability?
Useability is like the best apple pie or chille recipe.
It is all a matter of taste.

For the life of me, I can not see you upgrading mga5 to use
Plasm5.

If you are refering to mga6 Plasma5, it is currently at
RC release and I can highly recommend that anyone supporting
more than one system get in there and test all the
application/features that you will be using/needing.

Just one example is anyone that uses a mysql root passwork or
installs any application needing a mysql id/pw really needs
to test.

http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/ shows several plasma packages in
core/updates_testing. For about the last two weeks I have
been running mga6(cauldron) on my "production" machine and
have not found any show stopper problems for normal users.

Then again, I hardly use any of the KDE application other
than the desktop environment apps.

Last major problem for me is getting pulseaudio running
as a system wide daemon instead of the default user daemon.
William Unruh
2016-08-05 14:51:57 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
Post by William Unruh
[...]
Thanks. I agree, I will not use it on MGA5. The problem is that
kcmshell4 kscreen
on my system operates differently from SystemSettings->Displayandmonitor->Display Config
In the latter I can select one of the screens (assumeing I have more
than one connected to my laptop) and adjust its resolution, whether it
is enabled, etc. In the former I just get a white rectangle with
rectangles in it labeleed with the various screennames ( laptop screen,
Vga1..) but with no way of adjusting anything or selecting anything.

This is on a Panasonic S1 laptop with
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

On my son's machine, a Dell xps13 9343 with a broadwell intel graphics
chipset, he just gets the adjustment pane (resolution, etc) without the
ability to select or more around the territory the screens cover.

Ie, the screen adjustment/selection at least on intel chipset laptops is
broken.
(Seems to be OK on desktops with intel chipsets).

Wondering ifit is fixed in plasma 5
dlbendigo
2016-08-07 14:28:48 UTC
Post by William Unruh
Post by Bit Twister
Post by William Unruh
[...]
I noticed an updated Plasma 5 came down today in Cauldron.
I am running Xfce on a GeForce card, so I can't comment further.
Bit Twister
2016-08-07 17:02:25 UTC
Post by dlbendigo
I noticed an updated Plasma 5 came down today in Cauldron.
I am running Xfce on a GeForce card, so I can't comment further.
Yeah, I just now finished a network install which did not do
as well as all the ones before that update.

http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/ is showing yet some more
builds. guessing tomorrow will have a better install.
TJ
2016-08-12 12:43:57 UTC
Post by William Unruh
I just reported a bug in kcmshell4 kscreen to KDE. I got back a maessage
saying that plasma4 was no longer supported so that bug will stay.
They said I should upgrade to plasm5. Is plasma5 anywhere near useability?
Don't you just love how these people just casually tell you you should
make a major DTE upgrade like it was the same as trying on a new pair of
shoes? They have no clue about the skill set of the average, or even
slightly better than average user.

TJ
Bobbie Sellers
2016-08-12 15:18:18 UTC
Post by TJ
Post by William Unruh
I just reported a bug in kcmshell4 kscreen to KDE. I got back a maessage
saying that plasma4 was no longer supported so that bug will stay.
They said I should upgrade to plasm5. Is plasma5 anywhere near useability?
Don't you just love how these people just casually tell you you should
make a major DTE upgrade like it was the same as trying on a new pair of
shoes? They have no clue about the skill set of the average, or even
slightly better than average user.
TJ
On Mandriva they shoved Plasma 4.x down our throats with no more
thought for the users than in this episode. KDE may be people but they
may very well be control freaks sending out unfinished DTEs to the
people who assemble the distributions we use. As for users like me who
try to promote the KDE output we are ignored as since we are not coders
we should have no input in coders deliberations and just take the deal
we are offered...
I think the reason that PCLOS is so far ahead is that they
ignore systemd, another option shoved down users throats, and the
complexities it adds.
I had Mageia 6 sta installed on my Dell but just as with an
install of it to a Virtual Box, updates brought it down.
OpenMandriva 3.0-RC looked good on install but on its upgrades
it refused to accept input. Will try it again today. Still with
Plasma 5.7 and systemd it is not ready for prime time.

bliss
Bit Twister
2016-08-12 18:05:59 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
On Mandriva they shoved Plasma 4.x down our throats with no more
thought for the users than in this episode. KDE may be people but they
may very well be control freaks sending out unfinished DTEs to the
people who assemble the distributions we use. As for users like me who
try to promote the KDE output we are ignored as since we are not coders
we should have no input in coders deliberations and just take the deal
we are offered...
I hear your pain, but the distributions do not have much choice
when upstream no longer supports the version they have for
the release.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
I had Mageia 6 sta installed on my Dell but just as with an
install of it to a Virtual Box, updates brought it down.
Come on, you have to give the Mageia crew some slack.
They are way understaffed so all they can do is pull down
upstream fixes/updaes compile them and turn it out for
testing.

Mageia is a community distribuion. All are volunteers.

You have to admit Mageia QA has not released any other iso
since sta1's release because they deamed them unfit for
public testing.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Still with
Plasma 5.7 and systemd it is not ready for prime time.
I can agree with that. I see that a new release of systemd
is out and looking at ~/.xsession-errors KDE is not doing well.
Bobbie Sellers
2016-08-12 18:46:49 UTC
BT,
I agree with your arguments below regarding cutting the Mageia crew
some slack. However the various groups including
Black Panther, Open Mandriva and PCLinux OS need to stop competing
and find ways to share information and work together so that
under-staffing on any branch of the forking will be made less important.
Well i have some reservations about the Black Panther group.

I don't know what do do about Plasma 5 but am hoping that
the 5.8 LTS Plasma release will resolve some problems I have with
it. After all it could happen.

bliss
Bit Twister
2016-08-12 20:08:12 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
BT,
I agree with your arguments below regarding cutting the Mageia crew
some slack. However the various groups including
Black Panther, Open Mandriva and PCLinux OS need to stop competing
and find ways to share information and work together so that
under-staffing on any branch of the forking will be made less important.
Well i have some reservations about the Black Panther group.
I don't know what do do about Plasma 5 but am hoping that
the 5.8 LTS Plasma release will resolve some problems I have with
it. After all it could happen.
What little interaction I have had with the KDE crew would
seem to indicate it will be an uphill battle if you are not
running the KDE group's current release.
TJ
2016-08-13 02:50:04 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Bobbie Sellers
BT,
I agree with your arguments below regarding cutting the Mageia crew
some slack. However the various groups including
Black Panther, Open Mandriva and PCLinux OS need to stop competing
and find ways to share information and work together so that
under-staffing on any branch of the forking will be made less important.
Well i have some reservations about the Black Panther group.
It would seem to me that as the forks diverge farther and farther apart
such sharing gets more and more difficult.
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Bobbie Sellers
I don't know what do do about Plasma 5 but am hoping that
the 5.8 LTS Plasma release will resolve some problems I have with
it. After all it could happen.
What little interaction I have had with the KDE crew would
seem to indicate it will be an uphill battle if you are not
running the KDE group's current release.
That attitude really stinks. It's certainly not what I'm used to when it
comes to anything but software. Everything else I use has a serviceable
life that's measured in years, not hours.

TJ
Bobbie Sellers
2016-08-13 03:29:40 UTC
Post by TJ
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Bobbie Sellers
BT,
I agree with your arguments below regarding cutting the Mageia crew
some slack. However the various groups including
Black Panther, Open Mandriva and PCLinux OS need to stop competing
and find ways to share information and work together so that
under-staffing on any branch of the forking will be made less important.
Well i have some reservations about the Black Panther group.
It would seem to me that as the forks diverge farther and farther apart
such sharing gets more and more difficult.
No doubt true but the divergence may not be as much as the
various groups want to think. After a few years of Open Mandriva
looking very sad and seeming quite divergent the latest is much
better.
PCLOS started first so it is the oldest fork and one man
is the driver for that, but the biggest change afaik is that the
install sequence is split so that User configuration happens on
a reboot. Well that can have its problems as well and I had
to use Super Grub2 to rescue it and Mageia 6sta as well.
Week after next I will be installing the Community release
of PCLinix OS on 32 bit machine, which I consider a mitzah as
the user can slowly learn about Linux at 70+ years of age. I would
use Mageia 5 in the 586 version but it will likely be replaced soon.
Post by TJ
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Bobbie Sellers
I don't know what do do about Plasma 5 but am hoping that
the 5.8 LTS Plasma release will resolve some problems I have with
it. After all it could happen.
What little interaction I have had with the KDE crew would
seem to indicate it will be an uphill battle if you are not
running the KDE group's current release.
That attitude really stinks. It's certainly not what I'm used to when it
comes to anything but software. Everything else I use has a serviceable
life that's measured in years, not hours.
TJ
TJ I can only agree that the "take it or leave" attitude of the KDE's
creators is high-handed. When the last update to KDE's Plasma 4 was
forced on us some thoughtful and competent people produced a way to
switch back to their version of KDE's Plasma 3.5.9 and we used it for as
long as we were unhappy with Plasma 4.

And Plasma 5 it not a total disaster by any means it just is
not finished yet. This is like a piece of furniture that is fully
assembled but no drawer pulls yet and the top does not allow things
to be put there that might be useful in clear sight.

I am just a fussbudget at 79 yoa and very difficult to
satisfy in technical matters. I cannot even begin to afford a
computer that would be just what I wanted. \

Good night all!

bliss
Maurice
2016-08-13 11:06:36 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
I will be installing the Community release
of PCLinix OS on 32 bit machine, which I consider a mitzah as the user
can slowly learn about Linux at 70+ years of age. I would use Mageia 5
in the 586 version but it will likely be replaced soon.
My problem with Plasma 5 (as in Mageia-6-RC) is that it unusably crawls
on
the Samsung NC110 netbook (2GB RAM), whereas Mageia-5 is OK.

So - unless the slow speed is just a temporary glitch - I may have to
stick
with Mageia-5 on the netbook, or consider turning to PCLinuxOS.

On the other hand, both our desktops and the HP EFI/GPT Probook will
eventually move over to Mageia-6.
--
/\/\aurice